nedeľa 16. mája 2010

What It Means To Be Poor....




"How you see the world. How you deal with it. That determines your real wealth."
– God (from the Joan of Arcadia TV series)


One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?"

"It was great, Dad."

"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.

"Oh yeah," said the son.

"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?", asked the father

The son answered:

"I saw that we have one dog and they had four.

We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.

We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night.

Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.

We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.

We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless. Then his son added...

"Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are."




When I found  this story, I was touched.... and I'm grateful to pass it along to all my friends as well.
I'd also like to take this moment and thank my parents, family, friends, and of course you....


The love and support you and others have shown me throughout my life and especially recent times of challenge and change reminds me how truly abundant I am, regardless of what life sends my way...


10 komentárov:

  1. Very nice... but as a poor person... I of course have a larger view... then there is what we are inside... poor or rich in material things... what we respond to in a positive manner... our own words that arise out of our own experiences...not only am I poor but a bastard to boot... made that way by the Christian Church a slight to my natural innocence...these doctrines of the mind that set us apart.. and turned a way from our clean and natural sensuality--the enjoyment of each other sensual beauty and feel... drilling us into unnatural ways with ourselves... and now here at eighty... and am appalled at what such things have caused in us as individuals here for so short a time in a garden planted out in the cosmos... this vast nothingness... this mystery... this marvelous experience... I am poor in material things... the kingdoms of the world as it has been called but I marvel at a leaf...a blade of grass a handful of earth...a drink of water... and to be able to move around; to dance, laugh, and sing... to have children and love of a woman... feel rain on my face... the sun in its season... the winds, the oceans, the potential yet to be realized... I the 'Happy Poor', who does not want what the rich man strives for... not crown jewels... not gold an silver...not excessive resplendent cloth -- some good whole wheat bread... is a value here among all the excesses of the so called wealthy... among the degradation from the powerful to the weaker... the dominants over the passive... the extrovert over the introvert... and ignorance in high places...

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  2. How excellently have you written this all dear Frank..." naked we come in the world ...naked we gone" ...the real wealth of each one person is within him...the wealthiness is all around us only we have to look at it not with greediness spectacles but with spectacles of love, with spectacles of care:)

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  3. such a great "story!, Shipka!

    i also wonder if your backgroundfoto is where you live. (?) i am searching for such a nature (lamdscape) with a lille house to live in.

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  4. Thank you dear Brigyde for stopping here....and of course I wish you much success by the searching the house in the nature and with the civilization not touched corner of Earth...where could you live in Love and Harmony with all what surroundings you all around. I also dream such dream...only one things I'd like there find od the civilization....Internet:) Big hugs dear friend!

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  5. yep..internet is a "must" :-) ..where did you looked for that place ?

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  6. (sorry for not answering on facebook ..it was just that i entered there cause of sharing the wedding fotos -last sept.- with the participants).

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  7. as I have written already in my guest-book :"This picture is not mine own from Slovakia, but it is one of the great collection of "Landscapes from all over the word" ...you can see some of them here on my site http://shipka45.multiply.com/photos/album/45/Landscapes
    Specially this picture " The Promise of Spring Mosier Oregon " became from Oregon. "

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  8. it is just a "cause" I looked for on your Face book side....or I have badly comprehend this your message????? I searched on your face book account "the link on the cause where you search for wedding photos..."

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  9. oh, now i see, Maria! Everybody of the wedding people had the possibility to copy the album . Cause this Album was privat i have deleted it after some time. my only open fotos are those at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bridgy2008/

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  10. Nice story. I like how the kid realized things that are beyond one man's mind. It's very meaningful and we can surely learn something from what the kid has told.
    _______
    Movie Downloads

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť